Friday, August 5, 2011

The Wonderful World of Ministry

    One look at the title of my first blog might lead you to believe that ministry is all biscuits and gravy or peaches and cream. But of course, it's not. Just like other professions in life, ministry is strewn with potholes in the road on life's journey. That is what I hope to share with you - how God gives us learning and growing opportunities. He is in the redemption business. He makes good out of the bad all the time. Sometimes, though, we are so preoccupied with the bad things in our lives, we fail to see the good.
     My background is very diverse. I started my first career as a television sportscaster in Arkansas and then Illinois. I have been lucky enough to interview Michael Jordan, Tony Dungy, Peyton Manning, Jack Buck, Harry Caray, Ozzie Smith, Mark McGwire, Ryne Sandberg, Walter Payton, Mike Singletary, and the list goes on. Along the way, I felt the Lord tugging at my heart to follow Him more closely. What followed was a path that started with a lukewarm Christian (me) and took me through seminary and pastoral ministry.
    I still love sports. I love my wife, Mary Ann, my sons, Scott and Jonathan, and daughter, Sarah, and granddaughter, Kaylee and her mom, Jennifer, and my father, Jim. But I love Jesus Christ even more! He is my Lord and Saviour. Without Him, life would not be worth living.
     My hope and prayer is to explore topics relevant to your life journey: why your life matters to God, how people have been wounded by the church, why your connection with other Christians in a faith community is vital to your life, how to repair broken relationships, etc. I won't have all the answers, but I know someone who does.
   So, let's open this new chapter together as South Pointe Church takes shape to give you the "reason for hope (Jesus) with the tools to cope with life."

1 Comments:

Blogger Troy Smith said...

Hi Pastor Ron!

I love your story. I remember seeing you on the news as a teen, and while I am not known to be a huge sports fan (which is odd considering I was a personal trainer for 5 years), I always liked watching you cover sports. You always seemed happy! Your giftings as a pastor were evident even back then, as you drew people in each night, even those who didn't care all that much for sports!

Like you, I too, answered God's call and entered into pastoral ministry at Decatur First Church of the Nazarene. I know our church has said many prayers for your son Scott, and I pray that God leads you into new and exciting territory at South Pointe Church!

Blessings,

Pastor Troy Smith
Decatur First Church of the Nazarene

May 8, 2012 at 5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home